|Minutes of a Meeting of the Planning Committee of Wrington Parish Council
held in the John Locke Room on Tuesday 16 July 2013
Present: Mr B Taylor (Chairman) Mr D Glynn
Mrs P Ledbury Mrs G Bigg
Mr P Robinson Mrs L Howells
Mr J Rawlins Ms J Bishop (Assistant Clerk)
1 Apologies for absence
Apologies were received from Cllr Yamanaka.
2 Declarations of Interest
Cllr Taylor declared a personal interest in relation to application 13/P/1073/F
(18 Wiltons, Wrington, BS40 5LS) as he is a neighbour to the applicant.
3 Public Participation
Mr & Mrs Burnham, Ms M Hall, Mr J Gowar, Mr F Cowgill and Mr B Hardy attended to hear the Committee’s discussion on application 13/P/1045/CA (The Surgery, Station Road, Wrington, BS40 5NG). The Chairman offered to bring forward this item in the Agenda.
Application 13/P/1045/CA - The Surgery, Station Road, Wrington, BS40 5NG
It was explained to the residents that the Council had agreed to object to the application at the last meeting (25 June 2013) and a draft comment had already been prepared. The Chairman read this out, emphasising the following points:-
· No justification for the applicant’s claim that the building is 'not fit for purpose', has been provided.
· The applicant should be required to demonstrate that a positive effort has been made over a reasonable period of time to find some other use or user. The Council believes that the applicant has been approached on behalf of the community about purchasing the property and, therefore, demolition should not be considered until it is absolutely clear that the building and site cannot be used as they currently stand.
· There is a known flood risk to properties in the Glebe and a detailed flood risk assessment should be carried out to ensure that any work undertaken on this site does not increase the off site flood risk.
· The applicant has already excavated a trench on the site and has, therefore, already started work, in contrast to what is stated on the application form.
· The site includes many trees that have an amenity value in the Conservation Area. It is possible the trench has already damaged some of the trees (NSC Tree Officer has very recently visited the site but the Officer’s comments are not yet published) so the Council would like to recommend a comprehensive tree survey is undertaken before any consent is granted.
· The Council believes ownership of some parts of the land is disputed which undermines the credibility of the information provided by the applicant.
· A footpath crosses the site and the applicant should be reminded that access should be maintained at all times.
4 Minutes of the previous meeting
The Minutes of the meeting held 25 June 2013 were reviewed and adopted as a true record.
The Council’s response on the North Somerset Council Renewable and Low Carbon Energy Generation Supplementary Planning Document was noted.
5 NSC Central Area Planning Committee
The minutes of the meeting held 16 May 2013 were reviewed together with the agenda for the meeting held 4 July 2013. There were no issues of direct relevance to Wrington.
6 Decision Notices issued by NSC
A list of Decision Notices had been circulated prior to the meeting and these were noted. In summary:-
· 13/P/0457/RM - Bristol Airport Ltd, A38 Bristol Road, Wrington, Somerset, BS48 3DY Approved
· 13/P/0793/F - Land at Woodmans Cottage, West Hay Road, Wrington, BS40 5NW Approved
· 13/P/0812/F - Oakhurst, Ropers Lane, Wrington, BS40 5NQ Approved
· 13/P/0833/F - 14 South Meadows, Wrington, BS40 5PF Approved
· 13/P/0835/F - Shrub Cottage, The Batch, Backwell, BS48 3DL Approved
· 13/P/0956/WT - 41 The Glebe, Wrington, BS40 5LX Approved
It was also noted that 13/P/0877/F (West Aldwick Farm, Redhill, Bristol, BS40 5RE) had also been approved, with the Decision Notice received after the meeting papers had been circulated.
The Chairman highlighted notable conditions attached to the Decision Notices.
Matters requiring further action:
· 13/P/0812/F - Oakhurst, Ropers Lane, Wrington, BS40 5NQ
It was agreed to contact NSC further about whether the property’s garden had been extended into the adjacent field and, therefore, into Green Belt, thus requiring a Change of Use application as no mention of this was made in the Decision Notice.
· 13/P/0833/F - 14 South Meadows, Wrington, BS40 5PF
It was noted that the Parish/Town Comments in the Delegated Planning Application Report Sheet was not the comment submitted by the Council and this should be pointed out to NSC.
· 13/P/0835/F - Shrub Cottage, The Batch, Backwell, BS48 3DL
It was noted that the Decision Notice had made no mention of the road safety issues raised by the Council and it was agreed to reiterate these concerns to NSC. It was further agreed to query NSC’s statement about the area not being a known bat habitat area.
· 13/P/0877/F (West Aldwick Farm, Redhill, Bristol, BS40 5RE
As the Decision Notice made no mention of the design of the solar panels, it was agreed to query this with NSC.
7 Planning Applications
A list of planning applications had been circulated prior to the meeting.
Application 13/P/1073/F - 18 Wiltons, Wrington, BS40 5LS
It was agreed that, although the Council had no objection in principle to the proposed development, the Council would like to be assured that the new dormer windows to the rear are in line with the guidelines issued under the Residential Design Guide.
Applications 13/P/1093/F & 13/P/1095/LB - Barley Wood Walled Garden Café Long Lane, Wrington, BS40 5SA
It was agreed the Council had no comment to make on this application.
Application 13/P/1097/F - Fountain Tree Works Ltd, Brockley Combe Road, Backwell
It was agreed that the Council had no objection in principle to the proposed erection of the Pole Barn. However the Council would like to object to the presence of 3 shipping containers on site the re-siting of which was part of the application (referred to as ‘security containers’ in the application). These containers appear not to have planning permission and impact negatively on the openness of the Green Belt. The Council felt that, if secure storage is needed, then timber built structures would be more appropriate in this location.
Application 13/P/1120/TPO 5 Brook Gardens, Wrington, BS40 5QN
It was noted that the correct address for the property is 5 Lawders Orchard and this should be pointed out to NSC. It was also noted that this tree is currently the subject of a temporary TPO (following application 13/P/0616/WT). It was agreed that the Council would like to object to the proposed tree works as the tree forms part of the landscaping specified in the original planning application. The Council felt pruning, as specified, would result in a serious loss of privacy for the neighbours, especially in Garstons Close to the rear of the development.
Application 13/P/1121/F 5 Kings Road, Wrington, BS40 5LW
It was agreed that although the Council had no objections in principle to the proposed development, the Council does have concerns about the scale of the new wall, particularly in relation to the impact on immediate neighbours and the impact on the view from neighbouring gardens to the west. Furthermore the Council would like to see obscured glass specified as a condition to minimise the loss of neighbour privacy.
Application 13/P/1127/WT 11 Brook Gardens, Wrington, BS40 5QN
It was noted that the correct address for the property is 11 Lawders Orchard and this should be pointed out to NSC. It was agreed that the Council would like to object to the proposed tree works as the tree forms part of the landscaping specified in the original planning application. The Council would like to see something more restrained in terms of pruning as Council feels that pruning of the lower limbs could have an excessive impact on the tree and no evidence has been provided for the necessity for the works. Finally, although not relevant to the application, it was agreed to mention that the pole mounted satellite/aerial dish had not been removed following NSC’s refusal of application 13/P/0094/F.
Application 13/P/1174/WT - Wrington Farmhouse, School Road, Wrington, BS40 5NA
It was agreed the Council had no comment to make on this application for works to trees. However the Council would like to recommend that no pruning is undertaken until September at the earliest, bearing in mind the possibility that birds might still be nesting.
Application 13/P/1180/WT - 48 Garstons Close, Wrington, BS40 5QT
It was agreed the Council would like to object to this tree works application. The Council feels that these trees have public amenity value in the Conservation Area and no evidence has been provided as to the necessity of the works. It was also suggested that, as the tree borders the stream, the applicant might like to withdraw the application until the results of NSC’s flood prevention scheme is finalised.
Application 13/P/1184/F - 11 Church Court, Redhill, BS40 5SG
It was agreed the Council had no comment to make on this application.
8 Other Planning Issues
· Appeal 13/2197195, against NSC’s refusal of application 12/P/1654/F for the change of use of agricultural land to a solar energy facility on land at Garleys Wood, Downside Road, Backwell, BS48 3DQ, to include 11no. small buildings to house electrical equipment.
This was noted.
· Update on the proposal to submit a planning application for development at the Bowling Club, Silver Street, Wrington.
It was noted that the application had been submitted on 12 July 2013.
The Meeting was closed at 7.25pm.